7.06.2010

Cleopatra's Daughter

Cleopatra's Daughter
Michelle Moran
Crown Publishing, 2009

For several months, actually close to a year, I've looked at this cover and seen mini-reviews of it, and wanted to read it; but I never did anything about it - until I saw it on the New Books Shelf at my library. So I snatched it, devoured it, and think anyone with any interest at all in A] a well-written story, B] historical fiction that actually reads believable, or C] ancient Rome, should definitely take the time to read Cleopatra's Daughter.

The story centers around Cleopatra's twins, Alexander and Selene, and how they lived in Rome - in Octavian's sister's home - after Octavian conquered Egypt and effectively forced the suicides of their parents. Moran does an amazing job of working in Roman history, and the story is engrossing and exceptionally well-written. I got personally involved with the characters, and had to know what was going to happen to them. So much so, that I skipped ahead and flipped through the last few pages - and grinned like a Cheshire cat! I love it when what I really want to happen happens, and love it even more when the story is such that even knowing the ending I have to keep reading. This was one of those books.

I don't want to give away anything. You just have to pick it up and read it. If you don't like it, let me know why, please, because I think anyone who appreciates story will love it as much as I do.

Book provided by my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment