1.17.2011

Ever

Ever
Gail Carson Levine
HarperCollins, 2008

I've been wanting to read this one forever it feels like, and I was finally able to get it this year with my Christmas giftcard! The wait was worth it. I love Levine's books, and this had her trademark feel though it was a little different.

All the heart-tugging elements of a great story are here: the impossible romance, the epic quest, the struggle between honor and 'humanity' ... It's a story drawn from the Bible, but woven of mortal and immortal Love and Desire. It's a story of adventure and self-discovery, of facing fears and finding the true value of living. It's a story I read quickly, but that my thoughts have danced back to several times. In moments, it reminded me of Levine's The Two Princesses of Bamarre, but Ever is wholly a story unto its own. I'm dancing around the story itself, because it'd be way too easy to tell you all about it - and that would entirely spoil the experience. This is one of those books where, if you're like me, you need to exercise extreme self-control and not read the ending before you get there -- I'm so glad I managed to not flip ahead, because ... well, you'll see.

Book provided by my personal library.

No comments:

Post a Comment