9.19.2011

The Penderwicks at Point Mouette

The Penderwicks at Point Mouette
Jeanne Birdsall
Alfred A. Knopf: 2011

This is the third installment of the Penderwick adventures, and it's just as fun and cute and quirky as the previous two. It is summer again for the Penderwick girls, but this time, they're being separated! Rosalind is vacationing with a friend, leaving Skye "in charge" as OAP (Oldest Available Penderwick) while she, Jane and Batty go with Aunt Claire to Maine for a few weeks. Needless to say: Adventures ensue.

Joining the Penderwick girls (and Hound, the faithful dog) is old friend Jeffrey, and the posse quickly makes new friends - young and old. There are misunderstandings and misadventures galore, surprises and discoveries, first kisses and bonfires. It's a very eventful few weeks, and I loved reading every moment of it. The characters are very well-written, and remind me of my cousins and other people I actually know. I feel like I could pick the Penderwick girls and Jeffrey out of a crowd. And I do hope the series continues - I have enjoyed watching them grow and develop over the last three volumes, and hope to see the story go further. I have a particular weakness for wanting to see how Skye and Jeffrey continue their friendship.

Even though this is the third Penderwick novel, you can read it as a stand-alone. It is fun however, to read them in order, just to get a better sense of the characters. They're a lot of fun, and their adventures are hilarious. Definitely fun reads that middle grade readers would enjoy, and this older reader appreciates.

Also, purely random observation: The covers! I love the covers of all three - and, truthfully, the cover of The Penderwicks is what got me to read it, and subsequently fall in love with the story. Delightfully old-fashioned, and very fitting with the story.

Book provided by my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment