2.01.2013

Unmasking Maya

Unmasking Maya
Libby Mercer
2012

Maya Kirkwood is the hot new artist whose work with textiles mimics high fashion on a canvas. But she's a mystery - an unknown - never available for the media, represented by an agent, and living in a tiny San Franciscan apartment. Until she lands a commission from a hotshot CEO of a software company in Silicon Valley. Working with left-brained Derek is a challenge for Maya on both personal and professional levels. Especially once secrets and shadows of the past start creeping into her carefully established present. But Derek has secrets of his own, and Maya is unknowingly causing him to face his demons.

I loved the chemistry between Maya and Derek. Maya's a fun, breezy character - and I like that her past is hinted at, and then naturally spins out. I was curious, but didn't feel like I was being led on or taunted. She's a character I can relate to, and her perspective on the 'nerds' working in Silicon Valley? Priceless. I was laughing out loud a few times. And the descriptions of Maya's art and supplies? Mmm, I had a few high fashion daydreams there ... Never a bad thing, you know. All in all, this is a fun read that I thoroughly enjoyed. A beautifully timed story of personal development, conquering the past, and falling in love with the present.

eARC provided by author for review.

2 comments:

  1. I love this book too! It was fun! Derek reminded me of Darcy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the review, Rebecca, and thanks so much for the comment, Candy! I'm so thrilled that you both enjoyed it. I definitely can see the Darcy/Derek parallel now, but shortly after finishing it, I was thinking how like Rochester he was. :-)

    ReplyDelete