11.09.2011

Prom & Prejudice

Prom & Prejudice
Elizabeth Eulberg
Point, 2011

By now, you've probably figured out that I'm not only a confessing Janeite, but also a big fan of YA literature. Elizabeth Eulberg's second novel (the 'follow-up' to her smashing debut novel: The Lonely Hearts Club), is a delightful and enjoyable blending of those two loves. In this contemporary retelling of Pride and Prejudice - the beloved, timeless Jane Austen classic - Eulberg shifts everything into the world of twenty-first century, old-money boarding schools. Longbourne Academy is the girls' school, and Pemberley is the neighboring boys' school. Most Longbourne and Pemberley students come from old money, and fit that distinct social mold - with a few exceptions, like Charles and Jane. Unlike these students, Lizzie is at Longbourne on scholarship, and the society girls are not too keen on her arrival. Jane and Charlotte (the other scholarship student in Lizzie's class) help make things bearable, but nobody can wholly deter the likes of Caroline (Charles's twin) or Cat De Bourgh. And then there's Will Darcy, who alternates between seeming human and being just like any other Pemberley boy.

Prom and Prejudice is a quick read that follows the storyline and general make-up of Pride & Prejudice, while making it 'real' and relevant. It's still a world far, far removed from my reality - but it's got a sense of possibility. With just enough of the fairy tale. I loved the characters, and felt like Eulberg did a great job of imagining how the 'originals' would look like as contemporary teenagers. This was definitely a book I had a hard time putting down, and the twists the familiar story took brought a smile. I am now officially a fangirl of Elizabeth Eulberg, and eagerly await her upcoming third novel Take a Bow!

Book provided by my personal library.

4 comments:

  1. I've seen this at B&N but didn't know what to think of it. Now I'll definitely read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this book too! It was a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a really fun read, I am adding it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had this one on the back burner of my wish list since I first heard of it...and saw the cover. Gotta love how the little things stick with you, you know? Although I'm not a tried and true Janeite, I can certainly see this one being an interesting read...thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete