8.29.2011

Sense & Sensibility

Sense & Sensibility
Jane Austen
Modern Library, 1940 (original copyright: 1811)

Oh, Jane...This was a 'comfort read' for me that also happened to neatly align with the Bicentennial Challenge I'm participating in over at Austenprose. It's been years since I read Sense & Sensibility (the real one, not a modern retelling), and I was very excited to see how it compared with both my memory and the film versions I watch frequently. I was not disappointed. There's so much to Jane, even though she merely writes about normal people living fairly normal lives. But there's a magic to the telling, and in Sense & Sensibility, it gains a special persuasion - perchance because I can see so much of my life, of the lives of my friends, reflected in the telling. This is a real story, about things that still happen.

For something as familiar and beloved as Austen, I don't want to write so much as 'review' as my response to the novel...As stated earlier: it was a comfort read. Familiar, cozy, you know exactly how it's going to end - but with every reading there is a new discovery of the characters, the story, yourself. I see so much of myself in Elinor - for all the 'fire & ice' hidden away inside my core, I do my very best to present a more composed front to the world (particularly those not a part of my inner circle). Do I succeed? Not always. I am not possessed of what you call a 'poker face.' But the point is: I can relate so very, very much to Elinor and her struggles. Marianne? Now her I just want to shake until her teeth rattle and her brains settle. Sense & Sensibility is a very reader-response text for me, obviously. I have very personal reactions and interactions with the characters (including falling for Edward, harder every time), I get into the story and taste that world. Personally, I find this evidence of Austen's success at writing - if you are able to draw me into the world you've written, kudos and brownie points coming your way.

I am very happy to have spent the time revisiting this classic comfort read, and while I look forward to delving into other versions and variations of the story - I am definitely going to come back to Sense & Sensibility before another ten years passes.

Book provided by my personal library.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful post...I definitely like how it was a "response" as opposed to a "review". When something becomes a familiar favorite, it's best to throw out some of the formalities of it all. Great job sharing your feelings on the story....I'm certain you'll catch many an Austen fan's attention with this one as well as turn a few new eyes her way. Thanks for sharing...and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a JA lover, but, *hides in shame* I have actually not read this one. I have only read 2 of her books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this years ago and although I enjoyed it then, the details are fuzzy now. But our local theater will be putting on an adaptation this fall. We'll be seeing it in a couple of weeks. They did Pride and Prejudice last year and it was great so I'm really looking forward to S&S.

    ReplyDelete