5.13.2011

Love on Assignment

Love on Assignment
Cara Lynn James
Thomas Nelson, 2011

After reading Love on a Dime, I was really excited to pick up the second in the 'Ladies of Summerhill' series by Cara Lynn James. The premise of Love on Assignment sounded like it'd be as much fun as the first: female reporter goes undercover as a nanny to find out what's going on with her new boss, and mayhem ensues. (My paraphrasing, by the way). But about a third of the way in, I just couldn't stay focused - I started flipping pages randomly, reading one here - one there, and even that wasn't enough to jar my interest back into the story. It felt too predictable, and the details about Gilded Age society that I loved so much from Love on a Dime were nonexistent here. Please don't misunderstand me: the story is a good one, it's just not what I wanted - or needed - it to be. Maybe I just went into the reading with the wrong set of expectations. So while I was disappointed at the time, I'm not going to give up on the Ladies of Summerhill - nor James - yet! And you shouldn't either - seriously, check it out. Just don't pick it up with a history geek's mindset, and you'll be fine.

Book provided by my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment