5.23.2011

Armchair BEA: Hiya!

This week there's this HUGE gathering of authors, publishers, bloggers, and all kinds of peoples meeting in NYC for the Book Blogger Convention/Book Expo America. Not gonna lie: I'm a leetle jealous - sounds like it's going to be an awesome event. Since I'm still a newbie at this (one year anniversary coming up!), I didn't really know much about it until it was *here* ... Maybe next year will find me joining the throngs. However, I don't have to miss out on all the fun, because a great group of bloggers have joined together to create the "Armchair BEA Experience". Over 300 of us who are missing the big convention in The City have decided to have our own convention - from the luxury of our own homes (or wherever we are this week). You should check it out, because it'll make my non-review posts this week make so much more sense: Armchair BEA Central.

So. Seeing as how this is Day 1 of Armchair BEA, and some of you may not know me - allow me to introduce myself. I've been reading since I was 4 (ahem, that's over 20 years), and have an undergrad degree in Literature and a Master of Library Science. To say I'm a "bookworm" is a bit of an understatement. I started transitioning into a "book blogger" last June, after discovering some amazing blogs (you'll find out more about them later this week), and realizing "Hey, I should do this!" Even though I've only been blogging reviews for just-under a year, I've been writing them for much longer. In middle and high school, Mum would make me write a page review/book report of every book I read (I was homeschooled). Her hope was to slow down my reading some, but it didn't work. Then in college, I was the A&E Editor for our campus paper, and often wrote book reviews or bookish columns. Once I became aware of the book blogging world, it was a natural transition, and I have loved the experience.

Being a bookworm extraordinaire, I read a lot of different things - but I am a little particular. I tend to avoid paranormal, most mysteries, all erotic, and ... uh ... hmm. That may be it, in regards to 'broad generalizations'. I love fairy tales, and read a lot of historical fiction. I'm also a fan of chick lit, and probably read more YA titles than adult. (My self-appointed specialization in grad school was in childrens/young adult, so it makes sense). I do have a major love of football, so I keep my eyes peeled for good "football books" and am eagerly awaiting the release of Tim Tebow's memoir later this month. Basically, if the story is something that appeals to me -- or I encounter enough positive recommendations, especially from people whose opinions I trust and respect -- I will give a book a go. I'm not afraid to stop reading if I find myself struggling or losing interest: reading is something fun for me - I don't want to make it a chore.

In regards to this whole Armchair BEA experience - I'm so new to this, I'm not sure what to expect! But I am giddy about the adventure, and look forward to getting to know more bloggers and discover more things about this fascinating new realm I've stumbled upon. I'm going to try and post each day this week corresponding with the suggestions listed on the Armchair BEA blog - as well as (hopefully!) getting some reviews up also. Please feel free to peruse my previous reviews in the meantime, and thanks for joining me on this adventure!

Here's to books and the readers - especially bloggers - who love them!

6 comments:

  1. Lovely intro -- I appreciate your attitude about reading -- I finally started giving myself permission to quit if I hated a book. Why hurt myself? On the rare occasions I force myself to finish, I find I actually get angry at the book. So, no more of that! ;)

    Looking forward to the rest of your Armchair BEA posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its only Day one and I've already found so many great blogs. This week is going to be so fun. I look forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like baseball and golf books. Unless I'm ill or traveling (and don't have access to the internet), I post a review each and every day. Come learn more about me and my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fairy tales, too! I also enjoy historical fiction, and I don't think there is enough published for YA.

    Have a fun Armchair BEA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to "meet" you via Armchair BEA. Can't wait to read more from your fun blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your genre choices and glad you decided for the "more comfy" option of Armchair BEA!

    On behalf of the Armchair BEA organizers thanks so much for participating! We really are so happy to have you!

    ReplyDelete