3.04.2013

Turning Pages

Turning Pages
Tristi Pinkston
Inkberry Press, 2012

How do I love thee, let me count the ways ...
... You're about a girl who's going to school to be a librarian, and works in a library.
... You're a nod to my beloved Pride & Prejudice.
... You made me laugh out loud, garnering odd stares from the cat.

Seriously though, Turning Pages was a delight to read. Addie Preston is a girl after my own heart, working her way through Library School while also working to navigate life and its pitfalls. Her library is engraved deeply on her heart, in large part because it was a special place for she and her father -- whose death is still shockingly raw and new to the family. All the characters are written in the same, colorful, realistic style -- and Blake Hansen, the big city hotshot who sweeps in and steals Addi's promotion, is one amazing incarnation of our all-time favorite Darcy. The chemistry and dynamics between Addie and Blake (and the rest of the cast as well, for that matter) is fun and lively, and I really did laugh out loud at times.

With many nods to Austen's classic, you can imagine how the story will play out -- but there are shifts, and changes. Adaptations that bring the story into contemporary America, but add to the overall story experience rather than detract from the original idea. Honestly, the best way I can describe this is as a fun, breezy read that manages to handle some heavy heart-matters with a light - but effective - touch. A thoroughly enjoyable read, and I find myself wishing for more.

Book provided by author for review.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This sounds great! I haven't heard of it before. I'll have to add it to my TBR list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete