3.20.2011

Once Upon a Time Challenge V

I saw this challenge posted over at Stephanie's Written Word, and knew it was for me! Once I poked around at the host site, I knew - without a shadow of a doubt - that this was something I needed to do! I know, I know - add another challenge? Especially one with a short time-frame? But think about it: It's FAIRY TALES! (And folklore, mythology and general fantasy). And so, after a very wee bit of mental debate, I am going to join the fifth annual Once Upon a Time Challenge. The challenge runs only during Spring, so from March 21st to June 20th. I think this will be a lot of fun, and encourage you to join in if you're a fairy tale lover like me.

Honestly, the hard part for me was deciding which level to participate at ... I contemplated participating at Journey level - which is simply open-ended participation. It's the easy way, and would definitely be doable since you're only 'required' to read one title. However, I kind of view reading challenges as things to help push my reading - to take my normal reading direction and see if we can make it grow, see what can be discovered. All of this thinking led me to the decision to embark on ...

Quest the First means I will be reading at least five books that fit within the four categories: fairy tale, folklore, mythology, and fantasy.

I've not created a comprehensive list of prospective titles to read, but here are some off-the-top-of-my-head ideas which are all books I want to read and would work with the challenge criteria:
Spindle's End (Robin McKinley)
Beast (Donna Jo Napoli)
Princess and the Bear (Mette Ivie Harrison)
The Healer's Apprentice (Melanie Dickerson)
Princess of Glass (Jessica Day George)

There are more, I feel certain, especially since I'd like to try to have samples from multiple categories and not 'just' fairy tales. So we'll see where the journey takes us! Care to join me?

6 comments:

  1. Spindle's End . . . looooooooooove! Not your average Sleeping Beauty!

    Heading over there now. CURSE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lot of fun! I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you decided to do it. Carl is a great host and if you poke around the participant's blogs you will see plenty of suggestions for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the things I love about challenges is seeing what everyone is reading. And often, as is the case with your list, I find myself wondering why I've never heard of these books. Which is always a good thing. More to discover! Thank you so much for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carl's challenges are always so much fun. I'm joining this one for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alright lady . . . here you go!

    http://narniamum.blogspot.com/2011/03/fairytale-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete