1.07.2014

2013: Book Survey

I saw this posted on Melissa's blog, loved it, and decided to do it myself ... I also swung by Effortlessly Reading's original post (where Melissa saw it), and added a few extra questions. Now, to think about these answers ...

1. Best Book You Read In 2013?
FAIRY TALE: Atone by Jessica Grey
CONTEMPORARY YA: Just One Day by Gayle Foreman
CONTEMPORARY ADULT: The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (somewhat random selection, there were too many good ones)
HISTORICAL: The Gilded Chamber by Rebecca Kohn
CLASSIC: The Silmarillion by JRR Tolkien

2. Book you were excited about and thought you were going to love more but didn’t?
Jane Austen Marriage Manual by Kim Izzo ... It just wasn't what I wanted it to be.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
Grounded by Angela Correll -- Way better than I anticipated (is that horrible to admit? haha)

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
Um ... I honestly have no idea. That's a horrible answer, but it's true ... I did a lot of library-pushing of books I've not read yet (yes, that's weird, but hey - it works!) ...

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
The Hero's Guide series by Christopher Healy. 
I'm in love with the League of Princes.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Let's go with Karen Kingsbury ... since I read her for the first time, and managed to knock out three of her novels

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Uh ... Shannon Hale's graphic novel fairy tale retellings: Calamity Jack and Rapunzel's Revenge

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta ... I had a major book hangover when I finished it (at some ridiculous midnight hour), and was desperate to start Quintana of Charyn as soon as possible

9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Hmm ... Either Atone by Jessica Grey (I've read it several times over already) or The Silmarillion by Tolkien

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen, because it's fun and summery

11. Most memorable character in 2013?
Nicholas Hunt, from Atone by Jessica Grey.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
Can I take the easy way out and say "All the classics?" Because, really, they are all gorgeously written ...

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Hmm ... Excellent question, and I'm not sure I have an answer ... Actually, let's go with one I bailed on: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I was trying to listen to it on CD, because a friend keeps nagging me to read it, and I just couldn't take it. I suffered through a disc, and couldn't take anymore ... It was a big impact, just not a positive one.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Either The Blue Castle by LM Montgomery or North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.
I thoroughly enjoyed both (which was all-but guaranteed going into the reading), it just took me a while - and outside motivation - to read them. Glad I did, though!

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
"A smuggler with a lover's kindly heart,
A gambler with a noble spirit brave."
Han Solo, William Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian Doescher

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Longest: Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta
Shortest: I ... have no idea? Double Click by Lisa Becker, maybe?

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? 
Atone by Jessica Grey.
One word for you: Mirror.

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Beren and LĂșthien, from the Silmarillion

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Considering I had a lot of read-again-authors, I'm sort of doing a random selection pick here and going with .... Blackmoore by Julianne Donaldson - a beautifully satisfying sophomore novel.

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
The Chance by Karen Kingsbury

21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
If my rough count is correct: contemporary! There's a surprise ... Fantasy was second, with historical fiction significantly less than I would have guessed. Hmm, maybe my reading trends are shifting a bit ...

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Nicholas. Hunt.
For all the reasons.

23. Best 2013 debut you read?
I'm not sure what debuts I read ... Oh! The Geek's Guide to Dating by Eric Smith!

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
I'm going with The Silmarillion, since I dreamed about it.

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
The Geek's Guide to Dating by Eric Smith!

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
The Gilded Chamber by Rebecca Kohn - this one just sort of drifted across my radar, and was excellent


Some questions about looking into 2014 ...
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
Since I'm filling this out post-January 1st, that's easy answer: Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay.
It was an awesome way to start 2014's reading journey.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
All of them? No, really, I can think of several, including-but-not-limited-to: Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw; The 3rd Keeper of the Lost Cities Book; The Here and Now; Solving for Ex ...

3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Hmm ... I'm thinking Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge ... I love Beauty and the Beast retellings, and this one's been lurking on the radar for a while.

4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
Aspire by Jessica Grey, even if it might not strictly be considered a series-ender.
The One by Kiera Cass, because I have got to know if America gets with the program or not!

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
Catch up on things! Both my actual, literal To Read stacks, as well as catching up on books I've missed.
And reread some others ... Like an extended journey through Middle Earth.
I also hope to always have one eBook in-progress, because my Kindle books get very "lost"

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking...Atone was your all around favorite! :D Lol! I loved it too! Wow! Great job answering these questions! The one question I could answer right now without much thinking is the last one, pink 5. I'd like to read more non-review books this year. I have a stack that I have bought or was given that I just haven't had a chance to read because of other obligations. Don't get me wrong, I love my review books, but sometimes I feel enslaved to them.

    ReplyDelete